A Blog for Cool Gadgets, Smart Things and New Products…
Trolltech announced Qtopia Greenphone, the first open Linux mobile device for application developers. Greenphone enables commercial and open source developers, in-house software developers and handset manufacturers to create, modify and test Linux- based mobile phone applications on a working GSM/GPRS device, making the applications easier to build and faster to bring to market.
Greenphone will be offered as part of a complete software development kit (SDK) and includes Trolltech’s Qtopia Phone Edition, a comprehensive application platform and user interface for Linux-based mobile phone. Although not intended as a commercial mobile phone, Greenphone has many of the communication functions and features found in today’s sophisticated smartphones. Developers can exploit these features and functions in developing their own unique applications.
Greenphone is the first in a series of open mobile devices the company plans to make available in cooperation with its partners. Greenphone is a functioning mobile camera phone with the capability to re-flash the applications of the device.
Software: Qtopia Phone Edition Linux kernel
Hardware: Touch-screen & keypad UI, QVGA LCD color screen, Intel Xscale 312 MHz dual core, 64MB RAM, 128MB Flash, Mini-SD card slot, Broadcom BCM2121 modem, Bluetooth equipped, Mini-USB port
Size: 106.5 x 49.0 x 15.6 mm
Greenphone will be available mid-September in limited quantities, and the phone is intended only for Linux mobile software developers.
JSC Ancort company and Mr. Peter Aloisson the world famous Austrian jeweler, the designer and the inventor of the luxury mobile phones have signed an agreement to start a project on the creation of a Diamond Crypto Smartphone. The cost of the luxurious Diamond Crypto Smartphone is USD 1.300.000.
Materials to be used
– metal parts: all parts are casted in solid platinum 950, besides the Ancort logo and the navigation key (these two parts are made of 18 carat rose gold).
– wooden parts: side parts of the phone and reverse side of the phone made of macassar ebony, carrying material used is carbon, coated with macassar ebony with 7 layers of polyester surface (hand polished), the wooden part on the reverse side can be hand decorated (possible personalization e.g. company logo or clients name/initials).
– keypad (front side): all keys are being produced in solid platinum and then hand engraved and then hand-coloured.
– option: also black rhodium treatment of the platinum is possible (black, shiny look).
– navigation key: navigation key has been produced in solid 18 carat rose gold and carries 28 round cut diamonds. Weight is 1,5 carats and quality is ???‚??G ???‚??? vvs1???‚?? or better.
– navigation button: ?’?… carat princess cut diamond in natural blue colour. The specification for the blue diamond option is ???‚??D ???‚??? IF???‚??.
– side buttons: double button made of cut to shape natural blue diamonds 1,2 carats in total.The quality is ???‚??D ???‚??? IF???‚??.
– single button: made of cut to shape natural blue diamond ?’?… carat in weight, quality is ???‚??D ???‚??? IF???‚??.
– on/off button (top): made of cut to shape natural blue diamond 1 carat in weight, quality is ???‚??D ???‚??? IF???‚??.
– diamond lines: each side carries 25 ?’?… carat princess cut five blue diamons on each side (total 50 diamonds, 10 of them are blue diamond). Left and right quality is ???‚??D ???‚??? IF???‚??.
– setting: channel setting
– total weight: 25 carats
– leather pouch: Connolly leather, black colour ???‚??? hand made with platinum trimmings and lock witj additional platinum decoration encrusted with round shaped diamonds in vvs1 quality G/H colour.
– presentation box: hand made macassar ebony box with suede leather lining (beige), platinum trimmings and lock. Space for the phone, leather pouch and phone tutorial and accessories (possible personalization e.g. company logo or clients name/initials), music function when opening the box (clients choice of song/music theme).
– for all diamonds used we provide separate international diamond certificates
– for the platinum used we provide a peter aloisson certificate
Technical Specification of the Diamond Crypto Smartphone
Operation System: Windows CE
Main processor: Motorola MX21 (266 MHz)
Memory: 64 ? ??? ?± (Flash)/64 ? ??? ?± (RAM)
Network standards: GSM 900/1800
Main display type: colour TFT (262.144 colours)
Touch Screen size: 2.2???‚?? (33.84×45.12 mm)
Resolution: 240×320 pixels
Antenna: Embedded antenna
Keypad: Latin alphabet
Virtual keypad: Yes
SIM-card: Plug-in (3 ? ??™) type
Battery (standard): 1350 mAh (Li-Polymer)
Battery operation in stand by mode: > 100 hours
Talk time: > 2 hours
Dimensions (HxWxL): 115????¦53????¦24 mm
SMS support: Yes
MMS support: Yes
E-mail support: Yes
Internet support: Yes
WAP 2.0 support: Yes
GPRS support: Class 10
JAVA support: Yes
Synchronization with PC: Microsoft ActiveSync
Number of preset melodies and tones: 29
Media Player: Wav, MP3
Phonebook: 4000 numbers
Number of numbers for one subscriber: 5 numbers + fax and E-mail
Subscriber groups, groups: 26
Keys for Quick access to programs: Yes
Charging: battery charging via AC-adapter or via USB-Cable
Standard set: Crypto Smartphone, charger, standard battery, cables, PC synchronization set (a cable and CD with software), User manual, certificate of warranty, pouch.
Viewing office documents: Microsoft Word
Main Cryptographic characteristics
Encryption processor: TMS 320 VC 5416
Crypto Phone call: Yes
Crypto SMS: Yes
Crypto E-mail: Message body and attachments
Encryption button: Dedicated button
Key power: 1077
Crypto algorithm: Symmetric 256 bit
Key distribution method: Public key
Data encryption in the phone: Yes
Syllable intelligibility: 87%
– Tempest-proof special screens, filers and protection methods are used in Crypto Smartphone and protect reliably non-encrypted information from leakage into the air.
– A physical sensor of equiprobable keys ???‚??? a user enters the selected keys into a Crypto Smartphone manually or automatically from a key sensor. Depending on the user requirement a Crypto Smartphone may have a separate portable or fixed key generator in a set to enter keys in the device.
– Two similar Crypto Smartphones should be used to provide the encrypted communication. Crypto Smartphones can function in the standard (public) and secure mode.
– Open key length 256 bit based on the elliptic curve.
– A public key is formed for each commutation session.
– A user can independently generate encryption keys and input them in the Crypto Smartphone.
– Compatibility with ISDN, PSTN Ancort phones.
– EDA (Encrypted Document Access) password protection.
Price of the Brilliant Crypto Smartphone is $1.3 million
Basically the Sidekick 3 combines a phone, Web browser, e-mail manager, camera and an MP3 player all in one compact device. But of course it offers a lot more goodies than that. It comes with a 2.6-inch sliding screen under which is a comfortable QWERTY keyboard for speed typing. There is 1.3-megapixel digital camera for taking pictures, EDGE mobile connection for fast data transfers, Bluetooth 1.2 support, USB connector for synchronizing it with PC, miniSD card slot for additional memory and so on and so on…
What exactly can Sidekick 3 do?
– Easy to e-mail or IM with built-in QWERTY keyboard
– Real Web browsing of sites like MySpace, Facebook..
– Mobile phone
– Text messaging
– Continuous back-up of address book so customers never lose contacts
– Unlimited e-mail, IM, text messaging and Web browsing for less than $1/day
– Take pictures with the integrated camera. It even has a flash!
– Send pictures to friends and family via e-mail
Sidekick 3 aviability
T-Mobile Sidekick 3 will be first available in USA on June 28th in two stores and only for current customers of T-Mobile – on Madison Ave in New York and Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles. Indirect dealers, i-Dealers, National Retail and VAR are going to get it on August 28th, give or take, depending on inventory. Of course if you are a celebrity, you’ll be able to get a Sidekick 3 even earlier… 😉
What’s new on the Sidekick 3?
– A sleeker, smaller design
– Bluetooth technology makes the device easier to use
– AOL, Yahoo! And MSN Instant Messaging built-in
– An MP3 music player
– Faster browsing through EDGE network
– 1 megapixel camera
– Removable battery
I wonder if we are going to see this device produced by Sharp in other countries, offered by local (not T-Mobile) mobile operators… and of course with other brand name (Sidekick 3 is a T-Mobile brand), but with the same hardware?
The prices are: $299 for a 2-year contract, $349 for a 1-year contract, and $399 for T-Mobile To Go (prepaid).