A Blog for Cool Gadgets, Smart Things and New Products…
Western Digital did it again with the next generation Raptor hard disk drives – the VelociRaptor, 10,000 rpm, 2.5-inch, 300 GB SATA Hard Drive that are actually about 35 percent faster and twice the capacity of the previous performance king – the 150 GB Raptor X drive.
The new WD VelociRaptor hard drives are designed specifically for PC and Mac computer enthusiasts and for use in professional workstations. The WD VelociRaptor hard drives are built with enterprise-class mechanics and pack 300 GB of storage capacity into a 2.5-inch enterprise form factor. The 2.5-inch WD VelociRaptor drives are enclosed in the IcePack, a 3.5-inch mounting frame with a built-in heat sink – a customization that fits the drive into a standard 3.5-inch system bay and keeps this powerful drive extra cool when installed in a high-performance desktop chassis.
– Killer Speed – Built on the performance of the WD Raptor, these 10,000 RPM drives, with SATA 3 Gb/s interface, and 16 MB cache deliver mind-bending performance.
– Rock-solid Reliability – WD VelociRaptor drives are designed and manufactured to business-critical, enterprise-class standards to provide enterprise reliability in high duty cycle environments. The design results in the highest available reliability rating of any SATA drive at 1.4 million hours MTBF.
– IcePack Mounting Frame – The 2.5-inch WD VelociRaptor drives are enclosed in a 3.5-inch enterprise-class mounting frame with a built-in heat sink that keeps this powerful little drive extra cool when installed in high-performance desktop chassis.
– Rotary Acceleration Feed Forward (RAFF) – Optimizes performance when the drives are used in vibration-prone, multi-drive chassis.
– SecurePark – Parks the recording heads off the disk surface during spin up, spin down and when the drive is off. This ensures the recording head never touches the disk surface, resulting in improved long-term reliability and increased drive protection when the chassis is moved.
The 300GB WD VelociRaptor is currently available for $199 USD.
Myka is a new internet video player with built-in BitTorrent client for direct downloading of the multimedia files on the device. Video and audio files are downloaded from the internet on to Myka’s internal hard drive and after that these files can be played back directly to a television. Myka is controlled by a handy remote control or can be programmed remotely trough the web. This cool device has all the features you need in order to connect it directly to your new or old TV and yes there is even HDMI output as well as all the needed analog and digital sound output for your audio system. You get the option to use Ethernet cable connection to the internet or wireless network if you already have such in your home, eliminating the need to put any more network cables around.
BitTorrent is the leading peer-to-peer file-transfer protocol with more than 160 million installed clients. That means the more popular a large video file, the faster it can be transferred with BitTorrent. The result is quick, easy-to-use, high-quality, video downloads from major studios and other content providers without tying up you computer for hours. And you don’t need to do any work to figure out how to get the file to actually play on your TV. With a wide range of file formats supported, you don’t need to think about it at all. Just plug it in and enjoy. Myka comes with an internal hard drive with a choice of an 80-gigabyte, 160-gigabyte and a 500-gigabyte model. That translates into hours of continuous, high-definition video content. And yes, Myka supports HD video playback, although only up to 720p or 1080i.
Myka Key Features
– WiFi enabled – 802.11g
– Direct Ethernet connector for direct connection
– HDMI, Composite, S-Video and SPDIF ports for maximum flexibility
– Internal hard drive choice of 80, 160 or 500 gigabytes
– BitTorrent peer to peer software built in
– USB port for expansion
Supported Video Playback
– MPEG-2 MP@ML (ISO/IEC13818), up to 10Mb/s
– H.264/AVC MP HP up to L4.1
– VC1 AP@L3, Simple and Main Profile
– WMV 9 Simple and Main Profile
– DivX 3.11,4.11 and 5.x support
– MPEG-4 part 2 SP/ASP
– Aspect Ratio:4:3 and 16:9,auto format detection
– Out Definition:480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p or 1080i
Supported Audio Playback
– Decoding Formats: MPEG (Layer1,2), MP3, AAC, WMA
– Volume Control: 32-level adjustable, mute
– Output Modes: Mono/Stereo/Dolby Digital
You can pre-order Myka in 3 different models for $299 (80GB), $349 (160GB) or $459 (500GB).
Why would you want to put your mobile HDD in a USB case that looks like a harddrive is beyond comprehension to most of the people, but every geek would love the idea. This case is for putting a mobile 2,5-inch disk and connecting it to your PC trough a USB cable (normally no additional power is needed).
The 2.5″ Hard Case Disk Case is available for about $25.