A Blog for Cool Gadgets, Smart Things and New Products…
Amazon is doing it again in releasing a new even more affordable 6-inch Kindle e-Book Reader, now you can get it for just $139 USD (currently available for pre-orders only) and enjoy reading electronic books just like you would do with a normal book printer on paper. The new and more affordable Kindle Wi-Fi is just does not have a 3G modem built-in like in the bit more expensive Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi available for $189 USD, but that is not such a big issue as you can easily find wireless hotspots almost everywhere nowadays…
Amazon’s Kindle WiFi Specifications:
– Display: 6″ diagonal electronic paper display, optimized with proprietary waveform and font technology, 600 x 800 pixel resolution at 167 ppi, 16-level gray scale.
– Size: 7.5″ x 4.8″ x 0.335″ (190 mm x 123 mm x 8.5 mm).
– Weight: 8.5 ounces (241 grams).
– Storage: 4GB internal (approximately 3GB available for user content).
– Battery Life: A single charge lasts for up to a month with wireless off. Keep wireless always on and it lasts for up to 3 weeks. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as shopping the Kindle Store and downloading content.
– Charge Time: Fully charges in approximately 4.5 hours via the included U.S. power adapter. Also supports charging from your computer via the included USB 2.0 cable.
– Wi-Fi Connectivity: Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b or 802.11g standard; does not connect to enterprise or peer-to-peer Wi-Fi networks.
– USB Port: USB 2.0 (micro-B connector) for connection to the Kindle U.S. power adapter or optionally to connect to a PC or Macintosh computer.
– Audio: 3.5 mm stereo audio jack, rear-mounted stereo speakers.
– Content Formats Supported: Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.
– Included Accessories: U.S. power adapter (supports 110V-240V), USB 2.0 cable, rechargeable battery.
The Sony PRS-500 Reader is a portable e-book reader featuring 6″ high-resolution, high-contrast display with 180?° viewing angles. The screen of the device is actually an electronic paper display developed by E Ink Corporation, that has 166 dpi resolution and capable of showing four levels of grayscale. The display is viewable in direct sunlight and the best of all is it doesn’t require power to maintain the image so you get an extra long usage time of up to 7500 “page turns” per charge from the built-in lithium-ion battery. The reader has 64 MB integrated memory that is expandable by additional flash card, you can access the memory by connecting the device to your PC trough a standard USB connector. The PRS-500 is very compact with it measurements of 17.5 x 12.4 x 1.3 cm and weight of only about 250 grams.
The PRS-500 can display books in the following formats: BBeB books (BroadBand eBook), Adobe PDF files, TXT, RTF and Microsoft Word text formats. The device also supports graphic files in JPEG, GIF, PNG and BMP image formats, but don’t expect too much considering only 4 levels of gray are supported by screen. And of course you’ll be able to play music stored in MP3 or AAC audio formats.
The Sony Portable Reader System is available for $349.99.